Wednesday, October 18, 2006

This is NBC Nightly News...

My students took their midterms today. On one of them, under "Instructor", she wrote "Brian Jennings." Now, as insulted as I am that she couldn't remember my name (and it isn't a hard name to remember), I'm more amused that she remembered it was the last name of a newscaster, and just confused Brian Williams and Peter Jennings (or at least, that's what I like to think happened).

Unrelated, on Veronica Mars last night, they set up an entire intricate plot of theft and betrayal, including a villain named Larry, just so the wronged football player could storm in at the episode's end and say "Where's the playbook? Where's the playbook, Larry? You're entering a world of pain!" Any show that goes to such intricate lengths to toss in a Lebowski reference is clearly awesome.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful thing. If I ever wrote for a TV show, it would have a lot of that kind of thing.

Anonymous said...

I'd just like to announce that tomorrow I will be meeting the southern hemisphere's version of Quantum. Truly he must be Quantum's alter ego. He's Australian and he does combustion research....and yet he has the same exact name. My question to you all is - should I attempt to address this guy as Quantum-Man? (ya'll know what I mean - despite the protection of Q's real name)

Dubs said...

I think you should address him as Quantum "Quantum-man Quantum of the Clan McQuantum" Quantum, as the Burger King.

Then take a picture of his reaction and send it to us all.

Anonymous said...

brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I just got back from lunch with Australian's answer to Quantum. And I have much to report. For starters, these two chaps are not as different as we might have guessed. We have Quantum-Man; He goes by Quantumie. Our Q likes beer. This one spoke of putting a Guinness inside the drop tower at his office to see what the bubbles would look like (but primarily for shits and giggles). He also spoke of making a video of lego men in the drop tower. (Incidentally - drop tower = ability to create 0-g effects - hence..flying lego men). All in all - he was a decent imitation of Quantum though not quite as eccentric as the real thing. Oh and btw - he'll be in NYC this weekend - so beware Quantum - I'd hate for you two to run into each other and implode.

Anonymous said...

Let this poor man's me come, he shall fall before my drunken might

FYI, if these damn cardinals don't stop winning soon, I'm going to St. Louis and burning the place to the ground

The Bourbon Samurai said...

Sergio-
be afraid. He's got the secret of fire now, there's no stopping him!

Anonymous said...

THAT's who Quantum is? Fuck, I never would have associated him with quantum physics (or Scott Bakula).