Monday, February 20, 2006

Chapter MMIX: In Which I Prove I Am A Nerd

I was watching Revenge of the Sith not too long ago, and I noticed something odd. Remember the shuttle that Darth Vader flew in during Return of the Jedi, the same make that Han, Leia, and Luke flew to assault Endor? It had three fins, big, triangular fins, one on top, and two on the side that folded down in flight. (The technical name is a Lambda-class shuttle. Yes, I'm a nerd.)

Anyway, in RotS we see the Old Republic version of that shuttle. Looks almost exactly the same, except without the top fin. Which means that, in the span between Sith and Jedi, the designers just woke up one day and said "Wouldn't it be cool if we put a big freakin' fin on top of our shuttle? I mean, it's got those other two, why not one more, for symmetry's sake? I bet the Emperor would really dig it, maybe give us a raise!" One can only hope that Palpatine implemented their design then slaughtered them ruthlessly for wasting the Empire's valuable money on a useless third fin. (Looking at this now, I see disturbing parallels between Imperial designs and the American auto industry in the 60s. Odd, that.)

Sorry I don't have anything more exciting to post. Been a relaxing weekend, apart from the near-frostbite experience I had walking to a party (flask of Jameson's kept away the cold nicely though). For now, check out this site, which the Red-Headed Stepchild referred me to. I keep expecting to see the drunken ramblings of Bourbon, Quantum, Hubris, Uber260, Brownsox, and Sketchrock there. Come on guys, don't let me down!

Oh, and Hubris, your death threats are meaningless, as everyone knows Madison is an impregnable fortress-land and the walls of my ivory tower are very high (not to mention my army of apathetic freshmen who would just as soon skip my class as defend me from a drunkard).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to take this moment to point out that while the chroniclers of our rediculious (misspelled I'm sure) lifestyle have been sidetracked by political debate/girlfriend, we here in New York are still getting drunk and acting stupid. Highlights of last weekend include

1: Me crashing a actor friend's attempt at a date, and then talking to the girl how producers lie to actors all the time.
2: Me checking the lady's room in the second oldest bar in New York to make sure they did not post the date of the gender revolution
3: Hubris throwing my glasses out the window of a cab while traveling over the Queensbourogh Bridge
4: teach consecutively spilling 5 different beverages on his kitchen floor
5: Me being forced by peer pressure to down 5 onions
6: Teach passing out at his own party, leaving me to make smalltalk with the only remaining guest, the other waiters at his restaurant
7: Hubris posting an ad on Craigslist for a woman to rob a bank with him
8: Multiple viewings of Trapped in the Closet (as previously proven last weekend, nothing I will ever do with be as funny as R. Kelley's masterpiece)
9: and some other shit I was too drunk to remember

Tune back next week, when I judge actors, guzzle expensive wine with reckless abandon, abuse the mini-bar at my parent's house/hotel, and embaress people on their birthday.

(Cue Sinatra)

Scott said...

i'm intrigued by this whole "downing five onions" thing. Amazingly, nothing else on the list surprises me. Not in the least.

kevin said...

Dubs, I seriously think you should write the screenplay for a 'talkie' about the Rosencrantzes and Guildensterns of the Jediverse.

Dubs said...

I think there's a fascinating story involving the HR guys on Vader's flagship. The job turnaround time alone would lead to hilarity. And stranglings. Via the Force.

Anonymous said...

As an engineer - I can't help but wonder about those designers. A well made point indeed, Dubs. Honestly, when you look at the various space craft desgin, whether a Lambda class shuttle or an X-wing fighter, you can't help but think these engineers never stopped to realize that the laws of aerodynamics and fluid mechanics are slightly different in space - what with its lack of air. Wings and fins would offer no additional maneuverability whatsoever - just added weight. Seems to me the A-wings and Thai-fighters (I like to think the Imperial engineers were from Asia) are more sensible designs (assuming the Thai-fighters' "wings" have some functional purpose related to communications or something). Annnyway - now who's a nerd?