Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Series of Ruminations to Defer Grading

Long time, no post. And I'm grading papers, so still not a long one here.

First, in general. Has anyone ever really heard or used the word "embolden" before? I can't seem to get away from it now, as it has become a watchword in republican talks about the Iraq war. Not that I follow the war, but there was an "embolden" montage on the Daily Show, and I watch clips of it online instead of doing work. And I just now saw a news post that claimed a recent 60 Minutes show about military people petitioning against the war would also "embolden the enemy." Well, I don't care what your politics are. "Embolden" is a damn stupid word. You sound like a moron if you say it. It sounds like a made up word, even though it might very well be an actual word. But it's still moronic, and I die a little inside each time I hear it.

Second, aside. In our lecture last week, the professor asked the class what a firecrotch was, as he was discussing Lindsey Lohan. He honestly didn't know. I laughed and laughed.

Third, to my New York people. You keep saying something crazy went down this past month, and that stories are forthcoming, yet I see no stories. In fact, I'm convinced that nothing happened. You're all probably just staying sober and watching tv. I refuse to believe your vague, unsubstantiated reports. Give us stories, or admit your falsehood.

Fourth, to my Madison people. Are students stupider this semester? Mine sure are. I'm giving almost all of them horrible grades because of the absolutely stupid things they say in their papers. Who knows, maybe it will embolden them to do better? (See, it still sounds stupid.)

Fifth, to everyone not living in Wisconsin. We had us a blizzard this weekend, and it was awesome. Snow, thunder, lightning, and a trek to the bar amidst the first waves. Good times. Now, when I am an old and venerable professor, I can refer back to my memories of "The Great Blizzard of Aught Seven." And then whack people with my cane for not paying attention.

Ok, must go grade more. Next post, I'll offer SpeakMemory and her cohorts her requested list of my favorite musicals, which will hopefully spark responses from my more theatrically-inclined friends.

And don't forget, New York people, I'll be out there come March 30. I expect to be feted like royalty.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your attack on the word "embolden" is uncalled for. This is clearly an attempt by a far-left ultra-libral (you) to silence the truth that speaking the truth emboldens our enemy.

Anonymous said...

Two points:

1) The OED shows "embolden" to have a long, rich history as a word in the english. It quotes usages ranging from 1571 at the earliest (in Campion's History of Ireland "I am embouldned to present them to your Lordships patronage.") all the way to a shout out in Stevenson's Treasure Island in 1882 ("Argument is a great emboldener.")

2) Come on, dubs, no one who uses the word "fete" (as in "I expect to be feted like royalty") deserves to be taken seriously in criticizing others for their use of "embolden."

Other than that, it's good to see you posting again -- I was beginning to worry you be put on probation over on nofencesfacin.

G said...

I will not "fete" anyone, but I may "foot" you when you come to visit...especially if you do not call first so that you can meet my lovely girlfriend when you are here.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I told as much of the story as possible (i.e. that which I was actually there for) and I'm not in a position to comment on the disgraceful and awesome behavior that may or may not have taken place after I had departed the festivities of said evening.

But yeah, shit went down, y'all.

Anonymous said...

Among the things that happened: I've booted more times in the last month than I have in a year.

We got kicked out of a favorite bar because Teach and Jersey got caught doing coke in the bathroom.

I threw up in the produce aisle of a grocery store.

We ate more meat than God should allow and a double magnum of fine red wine.

This is the tip of the motherfrackin' iceberg