Sunday, February 03, 2008

When We Have Found All the Mysteries and Lost all the Meaning, We Will Be Alone, on an Empty Shore

First off, suck it, Patriots and Patriot fans! Not only did they lose, but Brady got hit a delicious number of times. Though he was not horribly crippled, scarred, or set on fire, as Throat Punch and I had hoped. (See what happens when no one suggests nicknames? I come up with stuff like Throat Punch.)

Not much of a notable weekend, though I did drink a fair amount over the course of three days. So today's post is more of a comment diversion than anything, mainly for my Madison folk (sorry outsiders, will try to involve you more in the future).

Now, this year, as we know, is the first year the MAs don't have to take the egregious MA test that all the rest of us took. And while we've debated the gross injustice of this move and how we may or may not think less of our new brethren because of the relative ease with which they shall procure their degrees, I'm more concerned today with the loss of works, the truly wonderful works that most of us would likely not have read.

So for today's post, I'll ask you to submit: what work or works should we demand that people read, just because they are awesome? This isn't about being great, or important, or any of that academic bullshit that we spread around like so much manure. No, I want to know what you liked, what was totally outside your field, but you loved regardless. These are the gems of the now-defunct list, things that made the gruelling hours and days and weeks and months of reading worthwhile for a brief shining moment. What really worked for you? What made you happy that you were a scholar and a student of literature, because you got to read cool stuff like that?

Submit your responses, and then we can generate a "must read" list to unofficially force upon our peers.

To start, my choice would be Tom Stoppard's Arcadia. I never would have read this play in a million years. Not because I dislike Stoppard or contemporary drama; it's just not something I would have come across if not forced to read it. And it's brilliant. Single best thing I read that entire summer. I reread it at least once a semester (of course, it doesn't hurt that you can tear through it in like an hour or two, tops). It's hilarious and moving and really helped me formulate my motivations for being in this crazy, almost masturbatory profession that so many of us have chosen. And because it's Stoppard, it's witty and verbose and insanely intellectual, not to mention pure joy to read.

So yeah, check out Arcadia if you haven't already. And send along your submissions for the list, so that we may force it upon the next generation.

And fuck the Patriots.

10 comments:

k8 said...

Hexwood by Diana Wynne Jones
American Gods by Neil Gailman
Kat Kong by Dav Pilkey
Night Watch by Terry Pratchett
Feed and The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing by M. T. Anderson.
The Rats and At The Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft
The Winter of our Discontent by Steinbeck
Candyfreak by Steve Almond
The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper

This is what happens when an MLS with a specialization in kiddie lit answers you requests. I guess I went a little crazy. Of course, if you were to ask me tomorrow, I'd probably have a completely different list.

Anonymous said...

My top picks from the actual list were (in no particular order):
Wycherley, The Country Wife
Walcott, Omeros
Sterne, Tristram Shandy
Keats, everything...God, the man was a genius
Browning, the "shorter" poems but not The Ring and the Book
Jonson, The Alchemist
Hwang, M. Butterfly
Dickens, Our Mutual Friend

I would probably tack on...
Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone (a travesty that it was never on there)
Tim O'Brien, Going After Cacciato (though that's probably stealing something from you, Dubs)
Hardy, The Return of the Native -or- Jude the Obscure (soul-crushingly awesome)

I actually made myself an "edited" version of the list--I kept the stuff that actually seemed enjoyable and nixed the junk (Stein, H.D., obscure Restoration dramas, most things Medieval that didn't begin with "Ch" and end with "aucer", etc.).

Chelsea said...

Ah, the MA list...

Auden
Oscar Wilde
Genesis B, Wanderer (NOT written by an author otherwise known as Chaucer)
Kingston's Woman Warrior
Morrison's Beloved

Things no one should ever be forced to read again:
Tristram Shandy
#24 (Thomson, Goldsmith, Collins)

kevin said...

I have to say the "Summoner's Tale," where the Summoner retaliates against the Friar's intricate satire by making fart jokes about his order. There's a valuable life lesson here. If you find yourself out-smarted, just refer to that person and their associates as fart-sniffers. There's no coming back from that one.

I also think that everyone should read a couple lines of Dryden (dry-dung: see how I learn) just to know how little they are missing.

Taryn said...

I'd have to second The Country Wife and add The School for Scandal and Middlemarch.

Quantum said...

While I have no great works of literature to add, I would like to reinforce the coolness of Arcadia (especially for the acedemic types).

Also, we thought of you on Sunday, as one again we watched a New England game where the hopeless underdogs beat up the favorites.
Brownsox almost cried.

Dubs said...

I'm tempted to ban Chelsea from the blog for daring to slander Tristram Shandy. That book is all kinds of hilarious.

And Quantum, glad I could be there in spirit. And in text form, as I texted mean things to Brownsox as his beloved team crumpled like the French.

Anonymous said...

I don't like the idea of other people reading the books I really like and think are awesome. Sullying them with their different opinions and impressions, bah!

Seriously though, B, the loss of Arcadia is amply made up by the loss of Troilus and Criseyde, Piers Plowman, Edmund FUCKING Spenser, Sidney, _Richard II_, Dryden, Ben Jonson, Samuel Johnson, Dickinson, H.D., and Momaday.

(I didn't read everything, so while I imagine the world would be a better place if no one ever read Margery Kempe, I don't know for sure).

k8 said...

So, I belatedly realized (based on others' answers) that the question involved naming texts on the list but outside a person's area of study. Well, sorry about the weird answer from before, but considering I didn't take that exam and I'm not in the lit. program, the answer stands.

However, I might add some comp/rhet goodies to the list like Cheryl Glenn's Rhetoric Retold, Susan Jarrett's Rereading the Sophists, or Jacqueline Royster's Traces of a Stream. And maybe one of the many histories of the field that illustrate how departments of rhetoric existed long before anyone even considered literature worthy of study. ;-P

Anonymous said...

You can do better than "Throat Punch." "Standard" works, though rarely used.

My picks:
Ellison, Invisible Man
Stoppard, Arcadia AND Travesties
Sterne, Tristram Shandy
Browning, "My Last Duchess," "Fra Lippo Lippi"
Keats, anything
Jonson, The Alchemist (sorry)
Fielding, Tom Jones
Rushdie, Midnight's Chidren