Monday, March 10, 2008

Wanna smash? Yeah, let's smash.

For a brief but blissful period of my life, I and many of my friends lived in two distinct worlds. In one, we were bright, energetic, somewhat alcoholic but nonetheless charming college students. We spoke of the usual things college students spoke of, we did some of the usual things college students did. We were never exactly normal, but we still existed as if in a world commonly shared by the bulk of college-going humanity.

But in our other, more awe-inspiring existence, we lived and breathed an entirely different society. This society had its own knowledge-base, its own skill sets. Its own lexicon. It was a hermeneutic system so self-contained that even those with whom we shared common interests could not bridge the gap without extensive exposure.

This world was the world of Super Smash Brothers.

Yes, many people played Smash across the college campus. But I highly doubt that anyone else brought to it the slavish, almost fanatical devotion that we did. At any hour of the day or night, you could probably find a game going on in the dorm. We left the N64 out in the common room, plugged into the tv, and people could just wander by and join up. I became a non-res at the dorm specifically so I could continue playing after I moved into my first apartment. It was almost sickening how much we played this game.

And we were good. You'd be very hard pressed to find people better than us at the original Smash. We all had our set characters, we played for hours and hours and hours, constantly rotating in and out, where victory was the only thing that kept you in the game. I was good at Smash beyond any measure of ever being good at anything. When I die, whatever my achievements, they'll never surpass the skills I had developed at Super Smash Brothers. I could win a Pulitzer, but whatever I had written would be less skillful than the skill with which I played this video game every day of my sophmore and junior years of college.

We were all damn good. It got to the point that, while a distinct and unofficial hierarchy existed, there were many of us with whom it would come down to what we had just eaten, or how much we had slept that night, to determine who would go on a winning streak. But I don't think it too hubristic to claim that I was one of the top three players of the game in the dorm, which would probably make me one of the top players on Northwestern's campus. I was freaky good at that game in a way I've never been as good at anything.

But more importantly for the purposes of this blog post, we had created an entire world around Smash Brothers. We had a name for everything, our own unofficial language that was completely impenetrable to outsiders. I mention this because last night I was playing Smash Brothers Brawl, the new version for the wii, and all those old memories came flooding back in a visceral, almost violent way. I found myself thinking of those times as I walked back from TGD's place, and I couldn't keep away a stupid, asinine grin.

So, to clarify matters a bit for those with whom I will now be playing Brawl, and as a fond trip down memory lane for all my Northwestern folk, I offer you the following lexicon:

Dark Samus: My character of choice. It was Samus Aran, but an evil version.
Insanely Powerful Back Kick: Samus' weapon of dealing ungodly pain to her foes.
The rat (or the fucking rat): Pikachu, the electric little rodent.
Tomacco: A large tomato with an "M" in the middle. Restores 100% of your health.
Jigglybitch: Jigglypuff, the weakest character of the entire game. Her weapon was song.
I got your face!: The act of ingesting someone whilst playing as Kirby, thus stealing their power. Always exclaimed with a tone of glee.
Cock-rocket!: Quantum's battle cry whenever he activated Fox McCloud's rocket pack.
Ness of the D'Ubervilles: A typo on a Tess paper's title page after an epic five hour session. Courtesy of Ranger.
Dubs-Slayer: The name given to a friend of ours who came out of nowhere to beat me, due largely to his extremely unorthodox Link fighting style.
Beam Sword: The equivalent of a nuclear bomb in sword form. Turned your average Yoshi or Kirby into the equivalent of Voltron wielding the blazing sword.
Death by fan: The most ignominious death known to man. The equivalent of getting your ass kicked by Jessica Simpson.
Fox McCloud of the Clan McCloud: Starfox, the Highlander.
Electro-Condom: Fox McCloud's personal shield.
Booooooooom!!!!!!!!: The battle cry of Luigi's superpunch. Exclaimed always in a high, nasally voice.
Egg-e-mon: The pokemon that gave you eggs.
Dragonmon: The pokemon dragon.
Ass-Gas: The gas-emitting pokemon
Coin-e-mon: The pokemon who emitted harmful coins.
Rock-e-mon: The pokemon who dropped rocks on you from above.
Fatass: The pokemon who falls from the sky, crushing you with his giant ass.
Star-e-mon: The star-shooting pokemon.

I'm sure there were others, so I invite my fellow Smash-addicts of yore to chime in. And for those of you who will be playing with me (and losing to me) at Brawl, please keep in mind that whenever I say something that seems completely incongruous if not downright stupid, I'm not insane. I've just traveled back in time about seven years to a far more idyllic period.

15 comments:

Quantum said...

Useless-mon: The pokemon who didn't do anything.

Stiff Upper Kick: Fox's super powerful juggling up-kick.

fucking uber bombs: Those stupid bombs that samus can drop, a very good defence measure.

Egged to death: Where Yoshi eats you and shits you out in a an egg, but does it to you fall over the edge and die.

Donkey-cide: Where Donkey Kong grabs you, then jumps off the screen, killing the both of you

Stabby-Stabby: Link's rapid sword attack

Death Pheromone: Jigglypuff's magical move where it goes to sleep, but you die

I believe that in the final rankings, you were the unquestioned #1 ranked. I was around 4th, behind Monkey and The Ferg. I did best you in single combat several times.

Quantum said...

Aslo

Penis-mon: The pokemon who looked like a penis that would cock-slap you to death.

Redd Fox: My character, junkyard owner by day, star fighter pilot by night.

Show me your boobs!: Captain Falcon's taunt

Screwed to death: Where Kirby would use his down kick to force you out of the air and to death. Deemed 'cheap' by the official rules.

Jared and Beth said...

Agreed. Dubs was #1. I was somewhere near...last. But yet I felt honored to be able to play with such excellent Smash Brothers as you gents. And let's not forgot, when I got on a roll, I could wreak some havoc with Luigi's boomie.

Jared and Beth said...

By the way. Now that you've played the new one - how bout a more detailed review for those of us who have not played or seen the new version?

Quantum said...

Mayhaps a comparative review, so we can see how the franchice has advanced/declined

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked that we've all forgotten:

BEEES!

Or the humble Pay-the-czar, Explodemon, or Gummy-Bear.

Anonymous said...

I wrote a long blog post about Smash a few years ago, Dubs. I remain hopeful that a bunch of us can play again sometime. I still have an N64, and there's a cartridge in my family's house.
I hope you'll be happy to know that I took our traditions home and trained my two brothers in the ways of the old game, including the old terms and the elegant curses and profanities. None of us is Loud Dave when it comes to yelling, but we get along.
I'm much better than I was in college - they're terrified when I grab the bat - but I still tell them you were the best I ever saw. When I play Samus and downsmash someone to death, I often call out "The Williams;" I thought of that as your signature move. I make a good Samus myself, actually.

Let's see what wasn't on your list...

Jiggly's "Song of Triumph!"
Bees and Sheep: a combination that was amusing to an unholy degree. Why? Who can say. But we scream and chant whenever it happens.
Bumper kill: Bonking someone to death with one of those things. Always a laugh.
Ass Rape of God: A move that was impossible to do in a real game, but you could take a bumper to an edge and shortcircuit Fox's shield until it exploded and caused 999% damage.
Drunken Master: Luigi's run, which looked so very drunk or girly.
The Clap: DK's upsmash.
Urination!: another way we made fun of Falcon, or as we call him at my place, Captain Plummet.
Ranger Rape: smacking a man into the ground, brutally, over and over, as Ness.

Dubs said...

Bees and sheep! That was like the grail! Love that shit!

I also have fond memories of Jiggly's song of triumph as she plummetted over the edge, singing her way to death.

I'll try to review Brawl after I've played it a bit more. Only played for a brief period the other night. But it did seem a lot like Melee, including many of the same levels. Oh, and there's a new character from Kirby, who is a kind of a giant king penguin, and who is perhaps the most useless character ever.

kevin said...

So wait. Dubs-Slayer? Did this guy like travel across several states to show up and challenge you? Was he some kind of wandering smash broths warrior?

Quantum said...

Ya, who was the dubs slayer? I don't remember him?

Dubs said...

The Dubs Slayer was a friend who came in as a freshman when I was a junior, didn't play all that much, but somehow managed to freakishly beat me like the first or second time he played the game. We saw it as destiny, that he was the one sent to challenge me by the fates.

Furthermore, he and Quantum ended up doing their final project for a drama class as a dramatic investigation into Smash Brothers. They basically beat each other up while quoting statistics of just how often we played the game and things we said about it. Afterwards, we all felt very cult-like.

And sorry Quantum, I don't know his blogname.

Anonymous said...

And then he disappeared and didn't play with us again, right? He was like your Smash equivalent of Anton Chigurh. Or Keyser Soze, I suppose.

k8 said...

I just tagged you.

Anonymous said...

How could you forget, "Heel Turn!"

Ferginator said...

It looks like we have enough people in New York for a little reunion tour, shall we get the band back together? I have the cart up at my apart. Along with the controller Gav broke. ;)

It takes every ounce of my humility to admit, Dubs was #1. But it woint no down smash, it was that frickin leg.

By the way, Mary's moving to the city next month. I'm sure she'd play too.

The czar is owed some coins, and I feel like delivering it in person.

Jigglyp!...zzz......BOOM