Tuesday, July 08, 2008

These Eyes Have Seen a Lot of Love, But They're Never Gonna See Another One Like They Had With You

And so today was one of the more surreal experiences of my life.

I was doing an outreach for the Writing Center this morning, where I go to classes and teach a bunch of high school students how to prepare for and write in-class essay exams. This particular group was a bunch of high school juniors, nice enough folks, but at the end of the session they somehow raised the issue that, to use their words, I "looked like that dude from Superbad."

Yeah, they couldn't get over that.

So apparently I look like Michael Cera, because this isn't the first time someone's thrown that my way. Could be worse, I guess. They could have thought I looked like "that fat dude from Superbad" or "that McLovin dude from Superbad." Michael Cera, pretty ok in my book.

Luckily, this seemed to give me cache with the youngsters, including the several who wanted their pictures taken with me. God bless the digital age, when every high schooler has his or her own camera with them at all times. I expect to be showing up on Facebook in the not-too-distant future. (Though they didn't seem to catch my Iron Man reference when I told them I didn't want to see this popping up on their MySpace pages. Oh well.

But I drew the line when they asked me to sing "These Eyes" and do the dance. That's just not how I roll.

5 comments:

Taryn said...

I've totally been waiting all afternoon for you to post this so I could send it to Dan.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you, Dubs: you've got an innocent face.

Anonymous said...

If you want to see McLovin' meet my brother (better yet, travel back in time and meet him in the 8th grade... he's kind of too tall now). I spent that whole movie going "Oh my god! It's Kyle!". V. v. disturbing.

Also, was noodling around on Graph Jam (none of the Township's 25 residents needed reference help) and found this:

http://graphjam.com/2008/07/02/song-chart-memes-midnight-train/

Hee.

Dubs said...

Well, that's just all kinds of awesome.

Taryn said...

Did you like The Quiet American?