Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Top Five

Long week. Student conferences. Grading papers. Pointless homework (tell me exactly how I'm supposed to write anything meaningful about segregation in under 150 words, I beg you). And I started taking Spanish today. All this after blowing away a perfectly good weekend by getting drunk both nights and playing Karaoke Revolution until 4am on Saturday, after the six hours of drinking and darts (where I proceeded to throw no less than six bull's eyes in one game, and yet still lost. I shall never play that well again.). Still, I have no regrets, especially since I got to witness the musical talents of a certain Renaissance scholar who I'll call The Wedding Singer, due to an eerie resemblance to Adam Sandler's vocal stylings in that movie.

Today was an extra fun day in History today, and I think we're right on the cusp of the Cold War finally. Some offerings from the Prof:

-"This says I'm the professor and you're not. Power! Colored chalk!"
-"I'm a Republican. What's a little starvation now and then?"
-"I see pollution, I see jobs!"

Today's invitation to the readers: What are your top five songs they need to add to Karaoke Revolution? (If you're unfamiliar with the game, then what are your all-time, top five, too drunk to care how silly you look, karaoke songs?) Mine are as follows, which reveals just how white I really am:

1. "Don't Stop Believing" - Journey
2. "Makin' Love Out of Nothing at All" - Air Supply
3. "Build Me Up, Buttercup" - The Foundations (the song and I have a complicated history)
4. "Holding Out For a Hero" - Bonnie Tyler (memories of Short Circuit 2 fill me with glee)
5. "I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" - Meat Loaf (the full 11 minute version, of course)

Close, but not quite on the top five:
"Somebody to Love" - Queen
"Tiny Dancer" - Elton John
"Come Sail Away" - Styx
"It's Friday, I'm in Love" - The Cure (shout out to Hubris, who first played me the song, then proceeded to sing it so loudly [along with Brownsox and a carful of people] that I couldn't understand one word)
"With or Without You" - U2
"It's Not Unusual" - Tom Jones

The list could go on and on. And of course, like any good tenor, the immortal "Let's Get It On" is high in consideration, excluded only by the fact that I know I don't have enough soul to do it properly. Such is the true curse of being me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't stop believing is probably the greatest kareaoke song ever. but another top 5

5:Piano Man by Billy Joel ( cause everyone can sing a verse)
4: You shook me all night long by ACDC ( a wildcard, but a good candidate)
3: Boheimien Rapshody by Queen ( the ultimate in group sings)
2: Thunder Road by the Boss (or Born to Run, depending on taste)
1: The Weight, by the Band (because I will sing it in any bar ever)

Taryn said...

Not quite the same thing, but the 5 best karaoke performances I've seen have been of the following songs:

- "Hey Ya," Outkast
- "Mack the Knife," Bobby Darin
- "Fortunate Son," CCR
- "Poison," BBD
- "Get Outta My Dreams Get into My Car," Billy Ocean

And Cap'n Americanist can back me up when I say that we witnessed a truly spectacular rendition of Shaggy's "It Wasn't Me" that should probably never be performed again.

memi said...

Honestly, I would like to hear you perform a medley of all of the aforementioned songs. I will (likely be drunk enough to) demand this the next time I see you.

Though my personal favorite karaoke experience, seeing as it is the only such incident, has to be the classic "On the Good Ship Lollypop."

Dubs said...

And my readership expands to the DC area. Soon my plans for world domination will be ready, and my forces shall strike!

Anonymous said...

Fine choices, Quantum.

I seem to remember one time during the spring of your senior year, Dubs, when I helped to carry you back from the Wudan to your apartment at Lake and Chicago, while you screamed "Build Me Up Buttercup" loudly enough for them to hear you in Peoria, while I provided backup vocals for you.

And I was so duly impressed that you made it home without booting, that it was really painful to hear the next morning that you had, in fact, booted all over your own doorstep.