Thursday, May 11, 2006

The getting of knowledge should be tangible. It should be...smelly.

There are times I loathe the internet. This is one of them (ironic, since I'm using it to complain).

In my research, I much prefer to actually read a text than find it online and read a computer screen. It's just me. I like the tactile presence and the ability to underline and jot notes in the margins. But, as I grade papers, I realize most of my students strongly disagree. They find online, read, quote, use, whatever, all without leaving their dorms. And I hate it. Because apparently this means that they don't have to cite page numbers when they quote, because there are no page numbers online. This is the type of thinking that leads to bad papers, irate teachers, and consequently, lower grades. And by irate I mean fuming, throwing things across the room, stopping grading so I can blog about it.

Rant over. Please continue on to read my previous post, which is much longer and far more interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You sir are a sad sad man