Friday, November 09, 2007

Because Undergrads Can't Understand Althusser

I'm not sure which is more disturbing. That:

A. I used The Usual Suspects as a way to start talking about The Autobiography of Malcolm X and ideological state apparatuses today in secton...

OR

B. Only three of my 18 students knew what I was talking about.

I mean, I figured it was a no-brainer. "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled is convincing the world he didn't exist." Malcolm calls us "white devils." And what is ideology but that which we convince ourselves doesn't exist? Sadly, my brilliant foray into the realm of pop culture is about six years too old. I mean, I remember when you couldn't go a week in college without seeing Usual Suspects somewhere, usually in someone's dorm room starting around 2am. So once again, my students made me feel old.

In a fit of spite, I spoiled the twist ending for them. I think Malcolm would have approved.

No comments: