Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sequels are Rules

This post will require some filler from my NU friends, with whom we were wacky.

The title is taken from a saying of Quantum's, that "Games are Rules." Sadly, I was not at the drunken revels that produced this tidbit of wisdom, nor do I quite know what it means, but the implication seems to be that games, in a strictly ontological sense, are only a composition of the rules that create them. I'm sure others could expound on this theory at length, but I merely bring it up as a tie in to my actual point.

In undergrad we came up with a loose set of rules governing movie sequel titles. Every Movie 2 must be, in some form, "The Revenge." The revenge of what was always unspecified, for that extra ominous bit. The third, taking it's cue from the Darkman saga, had to be "Movie 3: Die Movie, Die." Then, because we figured sequels had really hit their peak with the Leprechaun series, the fourth movie in a non-trilogy series must be "Movie 4: Movie in the Hood," whilst the fifth would inevitably be "Movie 5: Movie in Space." We felt that the transition from hood to space only made sense, as once one was in space, the odds of returning to Earth (and to the hood, no less) were astronomically (pardon the pun) slimmer.

Now, this isn't horribly inventive, but it did afford us no manner of glee. And, more important to this post, it spawned one of our truly marvellous running gags. I believe it was Irish McJew who had to watch Cyrano de Bergerac for a film class (or a French class, or a French film class), and this prompted him and Quantum to come up with the sequels, according to our schema. Which gave us the following:

Cyrano Deux: La Vengeance: In which Cyrano is awakened from cryogenic sleep in the late 20th century only to be horrified at the burgeoning European Union and it's trademark currency, the euro. Thus prompting the catchphrase: "La Euro? Sacrebleu! La vengeance, c'est ma noit" (I am unclear on the spelling, as I never took French. Roughly, it translates to "The vengeance, it is now!" Feel free to correct me if you want, McJew). I believe in this film, Cyrano would battle the euro, and, somehow, cyborgs (though the cyborgs may have been in a later film).

Cyrano Troix: Mort Cyrano, Mort. Don't remember the plot of this one, or if we even expected the franchise to go this far. I believe it involved some kind of long-lost enemy of Cyrano's, maybe a returning character presumed dead in the first film.

Cyrano (French for Four): Cyrano dans La Ghetto (Cyrano in the Hood, again feel free to correct my spelling): I forget what Cyrano did in the hood, but I believe the movie would also feature Snoop Dogg, who had just made cinematic history with his recent release Bones (which, sadly, we never did see).

And then there was Cyrano Five: Cyrano in Space, whose French I don't even pretend to remember. This may have been the one where Cyrano fought the cyborgs. I do remember that, after seeing Jason X: Jason in Space (where Jason got an upgrade), we felt that Cyrano in space had awesome potential for slaughter and French taunting.

Anyway, if you're one of my old NU folk and you remember this gag, feel free to add in any other information I'm missing. Might be worth a laugh, and I have very little else to post, since the semester is winding down and we're all busy. Or maybe I'll have a hilarious post tomorrow about how much the mechanics are going to charge me to fix my car, which has taken to stopping at random times. Just pray I make it to the dealership tomorrow.

Question of the day: Who was Sloopy, and why did he need to hang on?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I can only answer the second question. Sloopy, and I quote here, "lives in a very bad part of town. And everybody, yeah, tries to put my Sloopy down." It would appear that our anonymous narrator is in love with this woman, and does not wish her to leave in shame over "what her daddy do." If that helps.

Scott said...

Sounds about right, except for the unbelievably comic french. Not that my french is much better. "Le vengence, c'est maitenant!" And while I don't remember the french translations for four and five, I'm pretty sure "La Ghetto" isn't actual french, though it should be.

As I recall, this whole thing got started because I had a hard time writing my paper, and so began it with a sentence of blinding insight that roughly translated to "Cyrano de Bergerac is a movie."

Dubs said...

Yes, I realize there are numerical and spelling errors in my post. But Blogger is being a pain and won't accept my edits.

And I believe we acknowledged that La Ghetto was not actual French, but we liked the sound of it too much to change. Now if only we knew how to translate "Cyrano in Space"...

Anonymous said...

I'd just like to point out that I infact saw Bones. My friend...oh shoot...he needs a nickname...let's call him The Expert. My friend The Expert and I had a bottle of cheap wine, some Totino's pizza (the most glorious frozen pizza you can buy with 50 cents), and decided Bones was the perfect movie to enjoy that evening. Let me tell you. You don't want to cross Snoop. Cause even if you manage to kill him, he's coming back and gonna kill all ya'll and your bitches.

PS. Do you think Sloopy is related to the Sloop John B?

Anonymous said...

Brian, aren't you taking a French for reading knowledge exam such that knowing three is "trois" not "troix" might be useful?

Mais serieusement, ca, c'est tres drole!

Pour l'assistance (ou Irish McJew ne peux pas aider):
four = quatre
five = cinq
Cyrano in Space = Cyrano dans l'espace
(Not positive about the last one because I'm not sure if there's a discinction in terms between outer space and the idea of physical space, sorry.)
And, actually, ghetto is also french--the meaning doesn't translate precisely but is close.

Anonymous said...

for further translation:

discinction = distinction

oops.

Dubs said...

First off, no names here on Notes. I shall be addressed as "Dubs" or "Your Awesomeness."

Second, I'm taking a Spanish for Reading Knowledge test, not French. So there.

Anonymous said...

My brother and I always liked the "I Know What You Did Last Summer" school of sequel-naming, realizing that the second movie should have been called "I Still Know What You Did Two Summers Ago" (which was apparently its working title, according to IMDB) and imagining future sequel titles. Again according to IMDB, there IS a new movie coming out, with a new cast, called "I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer", which is remarkably close to my brother's and my imagined title of "I'll Never Stop Knowing What You Did Three Summers Ago," followed by "Remember What You DId Four Summers Ago? So Do I."

Anonymous said...

I laughed pretty damned hard at this post, and it's after 2 a.m. around here. Did you see Snoop's star turn in the contemporaneous "Training Day?" It was much discussed.

Glad to see that someone shares my interpretation of the "I Know What You Did [x] Summer" franchise.

Anonymous said...

I'm now trying to remember the enormous credit we gave The Rock in a movie we invented about Ward. It went something like:

"""Dwayne ""The "The Rock" Bob"" Johnson"""

AS

"""Nick ""Wardman "Nick Ward" of the Clan McWard"" Ward"""

AS

The Grammar King Burger King

somethin' somethin' somethin'

IN

Wardman 3: Die Wardman Die

Anonymous said...

Man, it's been so long since anything new here. It's about time for...

"Notes from the Ivory Tower II:
The Vengence"

Anonymous said...

I had a proud moment where I used your rules tonight in discussion of the upcoming blockbuster Snakes on a Plane. The first sequel will be a departure. I couldn't pass up the chance for Snakin' 2: Electric Bugaloo But after that, it's Snakes on a Plane 3: Die Snakes, Die; Snakes on a Plane 4: Snakes in the Hood; and Snakes on a Plane 5: Snakes in Space. Or maybe Snakes on a Spaceship.