Friday, September 08, 2006

Dubs and the Goblet of Fire

Yes. I know. It's been a while. Freakin' Bourbon Samurai posted something more recently than me. I apologize.

This post's title has little to do with Harry Potter, and nothing to do with a particular tale of drunken escapades and insanity (a story I feel I tell far too often anyway). Rather, as the new school year starts, I realized that I am starting my fourth year here in Madison. That's as long as I was at Northwestern. As long as high school. More pertinently, that's akin to three defeats of Voldemort or his cronies, not to mention countless quidditch matches and hijinks. And what have I done in those three years? What can I look back upon, now that I'm entering my Goblet of Fire year?

Well, I passed prelims for one. Suck it, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

My Madison friends know, so this info is largely for my NU readers. I am now preparing to start my dissertation, my own version of the Triwizard Tournament, which lasts for several years and rewards me not with any large monetary reward (certainly not enough to start a Weasley brother joke shop), but with the honorific "doctor" before my name. But that's all in good time.

Since prelims ended, we've been partying and preparing for year four. I went on a fishing trip with the fam (driving through, amusingly, Bourbon, Missouri, home of the Bourbon Family Fun Center and the Bourbon RV Dealership), mocked Fangirl when she lost her wedding ring (proving, as I claimed, that God does not support alternative lifestyle choices such as hers), and began teaching literature yet again, praise be to Allah. I am currently taking two lecture courses to complete my minor, one of which seems to rock and one which seems to not, and I imagine soon I shall gather my forces for a foray into the world of prolonged academic research that will result in the grail of grails, the Dissertation Proposal.

So that's me for now. More forthcoming, I promise, with frequent updates.

Finally, a report on this year's crop of students:

Of the 52 I surveyed today, 28 claim that Batman would beat Samuel L. Jackson in a fight, whilst 21 claim Mr. Jackson could best the Caped Crusader, and three remained undecided. Most cite the Dark Knight's gadgets as his trump card, not to mention an ability to fly that I was heretofore unaware of. Although some feel that Batman's emotional instability is a weakness Jackson can exploit to his advantage. Or that, had Jackson the same resources as Bruce Wayne, he'd be a formidable opponent. Here are some choice comments:

"Samuel L. Jackson, of course. He'll kill you just as soon as look at you."
"Jackson, because in the later Batman movies he had nipples on his suit."
"They would both kill each other."
"Neither. They would join forces to fight Godzilla and Mothra."
"Samuel L. Jackson would because Batman is mortal, unlike Jackson."
"Did you SEE Snakes on a Plane?"
"Batman, but not the Val Kilmer or George Clooney version."
"Batman; Samuel L. Jackson is only a man. Batman is only a man as well but he has a childhood experience involving bats that drives him to win."
"Batman because he was trained in the orient to kick ass plus he's got a sweet utility belt."
"Hopefully Sam can kill George Clooney Batman."
"The people watching this fight are the real winners here."

7 comments:

Taryn said...

This is my favorite icebreaker ever, although I'm still very impressed by Gwen's story about inadvertently dividing her class.

Anonymous said...

If you don't stratify your class by economic status, have you REALLY broken the ice?

Anonymous said...

This may be the dorkiest post ever written. Still funny, but very, very dorky.

Anonymous said...

Let it not be forgotten - as one Homer Simpson pointed out...

Batman's a scientist.

Anonymous said...

Bats on a Plane. You heard it here first.

Anonymous said...

I've been pondering Batman vs. Jackson, actually. And also wondering about how Jack Bauer would do in that fight.

d said...

I love your blog - your political sensibilities are straight on and well appreciated by someone of my tastes. I'm looking to expand my circle of friends, and I'm thinking about having a dinner party soon. Free food, smart witty folks - you really can't lose right?

Let me know if you might be interested!

Dominic Ebacher
ebacherdom.blogspot.com